Monday, June 23, 2014

Divine Something?

I had this experience Sunday that was quite unusual. I couldn't go to mass since I had to work, but since it was nice outside, I thought I'd take a walk before going to work. Once I was outside the house, I didn't know whether to turn left or right. I decided to go left. Enjoying the  walk, I saw a sign on a street corner about new summer classes, including ZUMBA which I've been quite excited to take, being offered at a health club in the neighborhood. I couldn't decide whether to go visit the club then or continue my walk. Just when the streetlight changed from red to green, I decided, last minute, to check out the club.

I liked the place, I like the classes, so I thought I'd come back and enroll the next day or so when I was off. I left the club and I didn't know whether to go left or right again. Then I decided to go right and while walking, it dawned on me that I was close to the church so I thought I might as well go visit. It felt good to realize I could go to church after all. I knew I couldn't stay for the whole mass but a short stay would be okay. Once inside, I started my usual prayers, but to my amazement, I couldn't pray. I kept stopping, I didn't know why. The mass was starting, the processional music being sang by the choir, so I thought I'd just join in and continue praying later. After that, I started to pray again but I couldn't pray. I couldn't do it. It felt strange. Something was stopping me. An inner voice was telling me not to pray. It was telling me to listen instead.

Then suddenly, I remembered something. When I was a little girl, one of my favorite prayers was, "Speak me to me, Lord, for I am listening."

God was talking to me... Yes, God was talking to me. So I did just that. I listened. I listened the whole time, in church, when I left the church, even on my way to work. And believe me, the whole day, the whole night, I was calm. Since I couldn't interrupt God, I had nothing else to do but be quiet and listen, be patient, be still... CALMNESS surrounded me through and through. Yes, it was God 's way of calming me down, at work, most especially.

What an experience! It would never have happened if I didn't go to church. And it would never have happened if I didn't decide to go check out the health club. I would have been farther off from church if I had crossed the street instead. And it would never have happened if I had decided to turn right and go the opposite direction. And, again, it would never have happened if I had just went straight to work instead of taking a nice walk in the neighborhood first. Whatever that was that was seemingly mundane, it was marvelous! It was something divine...

GOD ALMIGHTY!

No comments:

Post a Comment