Saturday, May 7, 2016

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!

TO THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WONDERFUL MOTHER OF ALL, MY MOM!!
Timeless - The Picture of the Century
My mother at 100 years old
(March 9, 2016)

                                                                
When I was a little girl, I thought my mother was the most beautiful lady in the world and the greatest mother of all. She just turned 100 this year 2016, and, yes, she’s the most beautiful woman in the world and the greatest mother of all!

My Mom came from a little town of Placer, Masbate. And one of my most unforgettable anecdotes about her is when she was about 11. She was playing at her front yard when she heard a voice, “Esperanza, Esperanza… Poise.”
She didn’t know what it was, where it was coming from.  It repeated, “Esperanza, Esperanza… Poise.”
She looked around and saw a bird on a tree… and it was the bird talking!! And this time, she saw the bird literally saying, ”Esperanza, Esperanza… Poise.”
She didn’t know what “Poise” meant, so she ran home to look for the meaning of the word - Poise (noun) - Calm confidence in a person’s way of behaving; a dignified, self-confident manner or bearing; composure; self-possession 

Looking back, my Mom says that it must’ve been Nature’s way through the bird to prepare her for what she was to become - 
My mother took high school in 3 three years at that time when there was no such thing as “Accelerated”! She graduated class valedictorian. She went on to study medicine in UST and became the first lady physician of Masbate. Later, she moved to Manila, after marrying a lawyer, Pacifico P. de Castro, she met in Manila when she was in College, and had 5 children, with me, the youngest and the only girl. My mom went to UP and earned her certificate in Public Health, and soon after worked as Municipal Health Officer of Mandaluyong, of which she founded the MANDALUYONG MEDICAL SOCIETY, which has become an integral part of PHILIPPINE MEDICAL ASSOCIATION. She moved on to become Provincial Health Officer of Pasig, and finally, City Health Officer of Quezon City. She was also one of the founders of FAMILY PLANNING OF THE PHILIPPINES. And who would expect that one day, her husband, my dad, would become one of the Justices of the Supreme Court!

At UST’s 400th year celebration in 2011-2012, my mother was the oldest living alumna and was awarded a platinum medal.

My mother is the heart of the family, the light of the home, the source of all our joy, healing, and strength. She is my most powerful influence and greatest inspiration in life!!

(This is an article I wrote for our school's CHS Newsletter, WE, THE ALUMNAE, featuring Alumnae's Mothers/Grandmothers)

No comments:

Post a Comment